Authored by Markets & Markets 2021
The route optimization software market was valued at USD 2.50 billion in 2017 and is expected to reach USD 5.07 billion by 2023, at a CAGR) of 11.4% during the forecast period.
Route optimization software finds the applicability in the fleet management systems deployed at the user’s end. This software includes GPS tracking capability and advanced reporting features that provide the dispatchers with the cost-efficient route, aid in planning more fuel-efficient routes, prevent unplanned stops, and reduce bottlenecks within the delivery network. The base year considered for the study is 2017 and the forecast period is from 2018 to 2023.
- Increasing use of logistics-specific solutions
- Declining hardware and connectivity costs
- Handling structured and unstructured data
- Growth of Software as a Service (SaaS) model
- Real-time location data analysis
- Security concerns
Increasing use of logistics-specific solutions is driving the growth of the market
The increase in the number of solution providers for cloud-based platforms, solutions, and other services to the logistics industry will allow fleet organizations to choose route optimization software from multiple solution providers at an affordable price. New software providers aim to provide affordable solutions and offer monthly, quarterly, and yearly options to allow fleet service providers to adopt this solution globally. New entrants are playing a crucial role by acquiring market share from leading software providers through new business models based on data analytics, blockchain, and other technologies, which include the real-time scenario of traffic congestion. These advanced technological features enable fleet service providers to provide optimized routes and plan the journey in advance to save time and fuel. Startups are offering last-mile delivery and crowd-delivery solutions to provide the differentiating factor from other leading solution providers. These startups collaborate with end customers and complement their service offers. This factor enables fleet management vendors to benefit from cloud-based route optimization software from the startups to provide scalable solutions that cater to changing customer needs.
The following are the major objectives of the study:
- To determine and forecast the global route optimization software market based on component, deployment type, organization size, vertical, and region from 2018 to 2023
- To forecast the size of market segments with respect to 5 main regions, namely North America, Europe, Asia Pacific (APAC), Middle East & Africa (MEA), and Latin America
- To provide detailed information regarding major factors, such as drivers, restraints, opportunities, and challenges influencing the growth of the market
- To strategically analyze each submarket with respect to individual growth trends, prospects, and contribution to the total market
- To analyze opportunities in the market for stakeholders by identifying high-growth segments of the market
- To profile key market players, provide comparative analysis based on business overviews, product offerings, regional presence, business strategies, and key financials with the help of in-house statistical tools to understand the competitive landscape
- To track and analyze competitive developments, such as new product launches & product enhancements, agreements, collaborations & partnerships, acquisitions, and expansions in the route optimization software market
The research methodology used to estimate and forecast the route optimization software market size begins with obtaining data of key vendor revenues through secondary research such as annual reports, white papers, certified publications, databases, such as Factiva and D&B Hoovers, press releases, and investor presentations of route optimization software vendors, as well as articles from recognized industry associations, statistics bureaus, and government publishing sources. Vendor offerings were also taken into consideration to determine the market segmentation. The bottom-up procedure is used to arrive at the overall global market size from the revenues of key market players. After arriving at the overall market size, the total market was split into several segments and subsegments, which were then verified through primary research by conducting extensive interviews with key individuals, such as Chief Executive Officers (CEOs), Vice Presidents (VPs), directors, and executives. Data triangulation and market breakdown procedures were employed to complete the overall market engineering process and arrive at the exact statistics for all the segments and subsegments.
The breakdown of profiles of primary participants is depicted in the figure below:
o know about the assumptions considered for the study, download the pdf brochure
The route optimization software market ecosystem includes key players, such as the ALK Technologies (US), AMCS (Ireland), Caliper (US), Descartes (Canada), Esri (US), FLS (Germany), Geoconcept (France), Google (US), Portatour (Austria), Llamasoft (US), Maxoptra (UK), Microlise (UK), Omnitracs (US), Optimoroute (US), ORTEC (Netherlands), Paragon Software (UK), PTV Group (Germany), Quintiq (Netherlands), FarEye (India), Route4me (US), RouteSolutions (US), Routific (Canada), Scientific Logistics (US), Truckstops (UK), Verizon Connect (US), and Workwave (US).
Major Market Developments
- In July 2018, The Greater Jakarta Transportation Agency, partnered with Google to launch a special feature on its Google Maps platform. Google Maps is working with third-party providers, public sources, and user contributors regarding the update of the product.
- In July 2018, Paragon Software enhanced its routing and scheduling software to interface with more than 40 different vehicle tracking systems, with a number of new technology partnerships with telematics providers. This functionality would aid transport operations to use real-time information that will improve their transport planning process.
- In May 2018, Google updated its Google Maps API platform for developers with a new name, Google Maps Platform.
- In August 20167, Descartes acquired MacroPoint, an electronic transportation network providing location-based truck tracking and predictive freight capacity data content. This acquisition helped customers research, plan, execute, and monitor multi-modal shipments around the world.
- In February 2017, Omnitracs launched its integrated Routing, Dispatching, and Compliance (RDC) solution. RDC seamlessly combines routing, dispatching, trip management, proof of delivery, hours of service, and Driver-Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR) compliance. RDC provides fleets with real-time information about routing efficiency, tracking, safety, and compliance.
Key Target Audience for Route Optimization Software Market
- Route Optimization Software Providers
- System Integrators
- Value-added Resellers
- Channel Partners
- Investors and Venture Capitalists
- Cloud Service Provides
- Logistics and Transportation Firms
Scope of the Route Optimization Software Market Research Report
The research report categorizes the market to forecast the revenues and analyze the trends in each of the following subsegments:
Market, by Component
- Map Integration & Software Deployment
- Support & Maintenance
Market, by Deployment
Route Optimization Software Market, by Organization Size
- Small & Medium Enterprises
- Large Enterprises
Market, by Vertical
- On-demand Food Delivery
- Retail & FMCG
- Field Services
- Ride Hailing & Taxi Services
Market, by Region
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- Latin America
Critical questions which the report answers
- What are key strategies the route optimization companies have undertaken to increase overall route efficiency for the end users?
- Which are the key players in the market and how intense is the competition?
Along with the market data, MarketsandMarkets offers customization as per the company’s specific requirements. The following customization options are available for the report:
- Further breakdown of the US market, by component
- Further breakdown of the UK market, by component
- Detailed analysis and profiles of additional market players
The route optimization software market size is expected to grow from to grow from USD 2.95 billion in 2018 to USD 5.07 billion by 2023, at a CAGR of 11.4% from 2018 to 2023. The major drivers of the market include the increasing use of logistics-specific solutions and declining hardware and connectivity costs.
The scope of the report covers the route optimization software market analysis by component (software and services), deployment type, organization size, vertical, and region. The software segment is expected to account for a larger share during the forecast period as compared to the services segment, owing to the increasing need for route optimization software amidst the rising traffic congestion and rising need of improving customer service delivery. The services segment is expected to grow at a higher CAGR owing to the need of all the service components throughout the pre-and post-software deployment cycle.
The on-premises deployment type is expected to hold a larger market size during the forecast period, owing to the need for customized software that can address complex requirements and the need of data control and security. The cloud deployment type is expected to record a higher growth rate during the forecast period, owing to the cost benefits and scalability it offers.
By organization size, the large enterprise organization segment is expected to hold a larger market size during the forecast period, owing to the large-scale implementation of customized software and increased operations. The SMEs segment is expected to record a higher growth rate during the forecast period, owing to the increased adoption of cloud-based route optimization software.
The retail & fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) vertical is expected to hold a larger market size during the forecast period, owing to the need of greater need to reduce the service delivery time and cut cost related to delivery and time took. The field services segment is expected to grow at the highest CAGR during the forecast period, owing to the vitality of routes taken to complete multiple jobs within a stipulated time.
# # #
TimeLinx delivers innovative project & service management software as a complete solution that perfects the sell-track-manage-support-bill cycle that services organizations must have to delight their customers; TimeLinx brings the cycle together in a single application that offers less frustration, better project management, complete reporting, and improved profitability – all specially designed for Infor and Sage.